Message from the Chief: On September 1, 2017, I was appointed as the 15th Police Chief of the Winston-Salem Police Department (WSPD). My vision is to use creative and innovative strategies to increase public safety in Winston-Salem while strengthening public trust and confidence between our community members and the women and men of the WSPD. It is also my goal to grow and develop future leaders that will have the ability to continue to advance 21st Century policing strategies in the WSPD for years to come.
We are fortunate and grateful to be supported by the Winston-Salem Police Foundation. The Winston-Salem Police Foundation is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to enhancing the capacity of law enforcement proficiency and enables the WSPD to be more effective in reducing crime and increasing public safety. The Winston-Salem Police Foundation supports community outreach efforts of the WSPD that are unable to be funded through the city’s general fund budget. The Winston-Salem Police Foundation encourages community support and understanding and fosters personnel development and well being.
The Winston-Salem Police Foundation and the WSPD are able to merge our purposes through a partnership that will enable us to serve our community in a variety of ways. In one such example we are looking forward to Operation Sweet Reads, an outreach initiative where WSPD will engage our children in their communities with ice cream and books. This initiative will help to raise the reading skills of our kids to assist with elimination of the preschool to prison pipeline. Additionally, the WSPD interaction will help forge positive relationships between our youth and our Police Officers.
I ask that you support our combined efforts by donating to the Winston-Salem Police Foundation. No amount is too small and your donation is an investment into making the WSPD an agency in which we “police locally and reach globally” through citizen outreach and the professional development of WSPD personnel. Through your financial support, we can continue to make Winston-Salem a safe and secure community that we all can be proud to call “home”.
Thanks for your support!
Catrina A. Thompson
Chief of Police
Board of Directors:
- Scott Sewell – President – Vice President , Technology Acquisition & Development, Cook Medical
- Evelyn Acree – Secretary – Senior Vice President, Mechanics & Farmers Bank
- Jordan Gwyn – Treasurer – Senior Internal Auditor, BB&T
- Rod Back – Retired, National Claims Manager for Delhaize America, Parent Company of Food Lion
- Simon Burgess – Managing Director, Mayfair Street Partners
- John Devlin – Global Brand Marketing Manager, Cook Medical
- James DuBose – Associate Athletic Director for External Affairs, WSSU
- Brenda Diggs – Retired, community volunteer
- Haley Gingles, APR – Director of Marketing & Communications, The FMRT Group
- Justin Gomez – Senior Marketing Manager for Corporate, Community & BestHealth, Wake Forest Baptist Health
- Perry Hudspeth – Investment Advisory Representative, Lincoln Financial Securities Corporation
- Karen Hart Huey – Vice President of Facilities, Wake Forest Baptist Health
- Tadhg O’Gara, MD – Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and Neurosurgery, Wake Forest Baptist Health
- Barry D. Rountree – Winston-Salem Police Chief, retired
- Rob Simon – Owner, Windsor Jewelers
- Scott Somerville – President, Hanes Activewear
- J. Alex Thornton – Attorney, J.E. Thornton, P.A.
- Catrina Thompson – Chief, Winston-Salem Police Department
Note: Financial information about this organization and a copy of its license are available from the Charitable Solicitation Licensing Section at 888-830-4989. This license is not an endorsement by the State.